Thursday, April 2, 2009

The Ongoing Struggle (Post #1)

A little about me...
My name is Sarah McIntyre. Some of my friends prefer "smac". I'm proud to say that I am a fully-devoted, firmly rooted follower of Jesus Christ. I'm 16 years old and currently a Sophomore in the International Baccalaureate Program.

The Issue...
Being in such a rigorous program is a lot of work and takes up a lot of time. So many times my Christians friends and I find ourselves pushing God aside in order to stay on top of school work and make it through the formidable teenage years... I recently began asking myself if it was really worth it... Is this ultimately just a huge distraction from my walk with My Father? a futile pursuit for earthly success? I almost gave up on the program. I began to think: "This is such a waste of time and effort"...

Well, over the past few weeks God has proven me dead wrong.

God's revealed to me that a lot of the things that the IB Program teaches and prepares students for can be practically applied to the Bible and our faith. No way, right? Try it.

Here's an example of something that I've learned:

Have your English teachers ever had you write an essay using textual analysis (looking for things like alliteration, consonance, assonance, repetition, metaphor, simile, anaphora, etc. which further emphasize the message or theme that the author is trying to convey)?

As you read the Bible, keep an eye out for these things and ask God to show you what He was trying to get across to His people by doing this.

This Blog...
I created this blog for teenagers who share my position, for those of us who desire to be successful in school, but ultimately just want to be as close to God as possible. Over the next couple of weeks, I'll be sharing what's been on my heart and how God is working in my life to reveal things to me that I never noticed before, to grow me for His work, and use me in all areas of my life.

Please let me know what you think about this and I'd be happy to answer any questions. :)

Next week, I'll be focusing on time management skills. Check it out!

Forever Alive in Christ,
-Sarah



Just to clarify, this blog is typically directed towards IB students, however, students in other rigorous high school problems can typically relate. If you're in AP, Honors, etc. please do not be discouraged by the site name/title. This is for you too!!



5 comments:

  1. On a side note Smac, "alliteration, consonance, assonance," are all no goes because the Bible has been translated from a different language into English and most of the sounds you hear, if they aren't in their original language, are just coincidences of the translation. Repetition of ideas, (and metaphors, similies etc.) however, are ALL OVER THE BIBLE!

    **P.S: This criticism means that I want you to keep writing! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good point, Aaron... I still think it's kinda cool though.

    ... and at the same time, are there really any actual "coincidences" when God's at work? (just a thought)

    I totally agree about about the metaphors, similes, and motifs though. They seriously are EVERYWHERE. (I'm planning on writing about those at a later date).

    Thanks for the constructive criticism. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Although they don't work, many other things do.

    Alliteration, consonance, and assonance are sound elements that aren't pertinent to Biblical material anyway...

    Perhaps the only thing sound thing lost in translation is metrical, as in Psalms, etc.

    Symbolism, metonymy, metaphor, simile, hyperbole, litotes, pleonasm, polyptoton (kinda), etc.

    Sarah, use the lit devices sheet CS gave you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yeah! You're right James... That's a good idea. I've already seen a few of the things on the sheet, but I didn't make the connection in my head... haha.

    The sounds elements thing is just something that kind of gets me going. Personally, those things kinda stick out to me, if I notice it I tend to go back and read in again to gain a better understanding... even if there really isn't anything significant about it, it still gets my brain in gear for English and Latin class.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is definitely a God-send.
    I'm almost finishing my first year of IB, in England, not in the US and it has been hard to not let school work, internal assessments, and 'extras' like CAS get in the way of my daily life, and from intruding on my spiritual walk with God.
    I'm encouraged to hear about another IB student who has been through it too.
    I may not get 45 points and study in Cambridge, but I'm doing what God wants me to do and that's more than enough.

    ReplyDelete

What is IB?

The International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma Programme is a challenging two-year curriculum, primarily aimed at students aged 16 to 19. It leads to a qualification that is widely recognized by the world’s leading universities.

Students learn more than a collection of facts. The Diploma Programme prepares students for university and encourages them to:

* ask challenging questions
* learn how to learn
* develop a strong sense of their own identity and culture
* develop the ability to communicate with and understand people from other countries and cultures.


Schools teach the programme in English, French and/or Spanish.

The Diploma Programme is one of three programmes offered by the IB.

(taken from: http://www.ibo.org/diploma/)